This Christmas I cooked a chicken with a special recipe from Balcony Babe. But I added a “twist” of lime. Here’s what I tried:
1) Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. When I put the chicken in the oven, I turned it down to 350degrees.
2) Squeeze half a lime over the bird’s skin, then put the lime rind in the bird.
3) Mash a tablespoon of butter and some olive oil with crushed garlic and finely chopped, fresh rosemary. Then smear it all over the skin and put any extra inside the bird.
4) Cram the bird’s body with the lime rind, a quartered onion, quartered apple, garlic. I also added a fresh herb pack (from safeway) that had rosemary, dill (yes, dill!), marjoram, sage, and thyme.
5) When the bird is full, tie the legs together with foil.
6) Make a foil tent over the bird and put it in the oven. Remove the tent for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Make sure to baste the bird every 10 minutes during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
Cooking time: 20minutes / pound.
This was the first time I’ve ever roasted a chicken. And I should add that my wife is a “big time” roast chicken maniac, so the pressure was on. The end result was fantastic! It was very easy to cook and the flavors were delicious. The lime and dill were gentle and surprising tastes, and I would cook with them again.
Thanks for the recipe Balcony Babe!!